WHO AM I ?
My professional and volunteer career led me to develop skills in several related areas: educational psychology and career counseling , non-formal education in youth movements , immigration and development issues , educational programs and youth policies , participation and youth empowerment , the question of the transition from adolescence to adulthood :
- 1960 – 1965 : University studies in Nice, Marseille and Aix -en- Provence to prepare a graduation in literature and then a state diploma of school and vocational guidance counselor.
- 1965 – 1970 : School and Vocational Guidance Counsellor in Evreux (Eure) . This experience allowed me to develop skills in the field of school psychology and adaptation problems of young people to the school system.
- 1970 – 1983 : executive at the National Headquarters Scouts de France, successively as National Commissioner for the Scout section (young adolescents), Programme and Training Commissioner and Executive Commissioner. This experience allowed me to acquire skills in the areas of management of youth organizations, non- formal education programs and adult education.
- 1983 – 1988 : Director, Recruitment and Training at the Association Française des Volontaires du Progrès, an organization co- managed by the State and Youth Organizations, whose aim was to develop programs of international solidarity and cooperation in Africa and the Caribbean and to involve young people as long term volunteers in development projects. This experience allowed me to experience the culture of the South and to acquire additional skills in managing development projects and in training of development actors.
- 1988 – 1990 : Director-General at AFDI, Association for Training Migrant Workers, at the time the largest training organization of immigrants in the Paris region. This experience allowed me to delve into the problems of immigration and integration of migrant workers in Europe.
- 1990 – 2000 : Director of the European Scout Office at the World Organization of the Scout Movement. My task was to support cooperation between National Scout Organizations in Europe and especially to accompany the rebirth of Scouting in Central and Eastern Europe after the fall of the USSR. This experience allowed me to experience the culture of Central and Eastern Europe, from the Baltic States to Albania, and to acquire new skills in the areas of management of voluntary youth organizations, European cooperation and youth policies.
- 2000 – 2007 : Director, Youth Programme and then Deputy Secretary General and Executive Director, Department of Education , Research and Development at the World Scout Bureau (World Organization of the Scout Movement). This experience allowed me to learn new skills in the field of non-formal educational programs for adolescents and young people with social difficulties (street children, working children), gender education, peace education and in the areas of transition to adulthood and youth participation in the development of society.
- From 2008 I founded and managed with Eduardo Missoni, Indaba-Network, a ” think tank ” and a community of young people and consultants engaged in social change. I worked as well as international consultant in the field of non-formal educational programs. I made several missions in Chad, Haiti and Afghanistan to help young people prepare their social and professional integration particularly through training in life skills , organizing non formal vocational training and supporting the creation of small businesses. I also worked on the development of educational programs for adolescents and young adults, particularly for the FAO (UN Youth Award) and the International Youth Foundation.
As a volunteer, I was member of an adult educational movement called “La Vie Nouvelle“ and I have a long history of involvement within the Scout Movement at local, district and national levels in France and internationally as a member of the World Scout Training Committee, the European Scout Committee and the World Scout Committee. Presently, I am the chairman of the GRAD-s, a French association that supports African farmers’ organizations and develops tools for reflection and action on sustainable development and international solidarity.
I am living with my wife and three cats in a chalet in the French Alps.
To download my CV, click here.
THE PURPOSE OF THIS WEBSITE
For several years , particularly in the context of my involvement in Indaba -Network and my consulting work , I am particularly interested in the issues of transition from adolescence to adulthood, youth participation in decision making / youth empowerment and collaborative / cooperative learning practices.
I would like to find ways for a greater synergy between formal education (school and university) and non-formal education (educational organizations).
I’m working on writing a book and a series of resources to promote an educational approach based on DIALOGUE (Paulo Freire) EXPERIENCE (Maria Montessori , Baden- Powell) and COOPERATION (Célestin Freinet, Jean Piaget, Lev Vygotsky) , both in formal education and non-formal education.
This site is an opportunity to share ideas, experiences and resources with all those who are interested and active in these fields.